Tuesday, February 1, 2011

{She's a Musketeer!!}

My daughter is waaaaay into being a "girl superhero", primarily a Barbie Musketeer, so last spring when I accidentally came across this great Kid's Superhero Cape project over at The Long Thread I had to try it!
I'm now addicted to her projects!!  I was new to sewing then, (I still feel like I am!) and am completely self-taught, so this was my very first time using a pattern. I was soooo cautious! You can find the tutorial here.  It's an easy project to follow and complete, so if you're new to sewing don't be afraid!! If I can do it, so can you!

My kiddo helped me pick out the fabric, and we decided to go with felt for the logo on the back of the cape.



I used felt for the mask as well. It was the trickiest, just getting the eye holes large enough for her eye but not TOO large. I also used sequence to add a flash here and there. It was very simple and she LOVES it! She is always playing in it, and even considered it for Halloween (although she ended up going with Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz).


 She decided on a butterfly for her cape logo, so I found a template online (somewhere!) for both the large butterfly and her "N". The little butterfly on the logo and on the mask I die-cut with my Cuttlebug using a Stampin' Up Sizzix die. This is a pic of it before I sewed it on. I actually used the machine for that, and I remember going VERY SLOWLY and being scared of ruining the whole thing! :)

Don't you like the lining? 
I really think anyone with a machine can make this so easily. I copied the pattern onto brown packing paper and have it in my files now. I'm not sure how other people store/keep sewing patterns, but that has worked well for me so far. I think I have it traced on muslin as well.
Take a look at the tutorial if you've never seen it. Once you make one, you'll want to make more!

Take care!
Deanna

I'm linking up over here:

Photobucket

1 comment:

You can't imagine how much I looooooove comments! It makes my day, no matter how short and sweet. Thanks for stopping by!