Wednesday, December 21, 2011

{Scrappy Christmas Coasters}

I will be honest and tell you that I made these a couple of months ago, and I'm pretty sure I was surrounded by pumpkins and skeletons at the time. You can never be too early, no? I guess I was on a roll.

I had leftover holiday fabric from an apron I made for my mom like this one. I wanted to make some scrappy coasters with it, so I looked around the internet for some info. I did find several tutorials, and even tried a couple that seemed easy, but honestly they all still seemed too hard. Like I was re-inventing the wheel.
I will apologize ahead of time for the lack of process pictures, but I decided to cut a square template out of old file folders that measured 5.5" x 5.5" (the unfinished size I wanted the coasters to be). Then I started cutting scraps...piecing them to other scraps...and machine stitching them to each other.
Yeah...it was a hodge podge, which was exactly what I wanted.
My only 'rule' to follow was that I made sure that each scrappy piece I finished was LARGER than my 5.5" x 5.5" template. Here are all of my top pieces:

 I then laid the template on top of the scrappy piece and cut it down to size.
I cut a backing piece out of solid fabric to 5.5" x 5.5".
 I adhered a piece of fusible fleece to each side (one to the scrappy side and one to the solid side). I wanted them to be thicker since they are coasters.

I then pinned them wrong sides together, stitched on 3 sides, turned back around, and top stitched all around the edges. I also "stitched in the ditch" along the seams of all the scraps...just to make them look "scrappier".

And the final product...

I'm really pleased with how they turned out, and I love it when I use up scraps.

What have you been up to?
Take care,




8 comments:

  1. I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

    Findery.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy mens gym trousers online from Dshred at easy prices delivered at your doorstep. Get free shipping

    ReplyDelete
  4. Custom Bakery Packaging Boxes like cake boxes, cupcake boxes, individual cake gift boxes are used to present your bakery products in a unique way. You get FREE design and quick shipping (free) shipping for your bakery products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hair extension is a critical part of human safety. The length of hair from short to medium varies according to medium to long. Women with short hair or sore hair need their hair to look confusing to feel better. That's the explanation Hair Extension Boxes is particularly popular these days. In addition, the sellers of hair extensions should choose to sell their stuff in such a bundle that a larger piece of the customers skewed towards them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The restorative plastic packaging industry can be supposed to be the quickest evolving industry. Simply by presenting new packaging of Custom Lipstick Boxes items would consumers be able to be satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

You can't imagine how much I looooooove comments! It makes my day, no matter how short and sweet. Thanks for stopping by!